Saturday 3 August 2013

Goose Bay, Labrador


Goose Bay, Labrador (the mainland) is a town of about 7,500 people, the largest town in Labrador.  St. John's, the capital of Newfoundland (the island) is a 2 day drive and ferry ride away.  The nearest Walmart is in Labrador City, a 525km drive from Goose Bay on mostly a gravel road. The population here is 35% Aboriginal, a mix of Innu and Inuit.  The Filipino population is growing as the Tim Horton's has sponsored almost their entire staff from overseas to help them gain their Canadian citizenship. 

Handmade moccasins
 
 
$400 seal skin (!!) boots (not clubbed baby seals I hope)


The climate here is described as subarctic.  July and August are usually the only months it doesn't snow.  For me the nights have been cool and the days mostly humid and warm.  I was warned of the black flies but I haven't seen a bug yet and hope to keep it that way.  It is not unusual in the winter for it to average 40-50 below zero Celsius and for the town to get up to 10 feet of snow.  I think I chose a good month to visit. 

The town started with the development of the Goose Bay Air force base during the Second World War.  It has the longest runway in North America (11,000ft) and is able to accommodate the largest aircraft in the world.  In 1983 the town gained international attention when a 747 carrying the space shuttle landed for refueling. During 9/11 the town accommodated overseas commercial flights that were being rerouted as U.S. airspace was closed.  The airfield remains a refueling stop for overseas flights and a stop for overseas emergencies.  We had a flight from Ireland that was enroute to JFK/NY land as a woman, 29 weeks pregnant had her water break mid flight.  She came into our hospital, we ensured mom and baby were ok and then had her medivac'd to St. John's.  She wasn't in labour (phew!), will be missing her brother's wedding in New York and having a Canadian baby whether she likes it or not.

The town is desperate for nurses.  Many that I work with tell me they are working with contractual signing incentives of $6,000 per year they stay and $4,000 reimbursement of student loans per year they work.  The facility has been more than generous with me.  They have given me a car to use during my month here and a 3 bedroom house to myself.  The hardwood floors and stairs have an oddly comforting sound and feel that remind me of my grandparents house in New Hampshire.  I never would have thought such a thing would trigger memories but its reassuring to me nonetheless. I'm struggling with the lack of recycling at the hospital or otherwise.  Stores are confused when I bring my own bags. 

This first week has been a bit of an awakening for me.  Vancouver was action packed and my pace has slowed right down.  I was nervous at first but have settled in to a nice routine.  I'm working mostly day shifts which is nice and working a lot which will keep me busy. I've found a u-pick farm where I can get my greens and herbs.  Eating well was my biggest concern. I have to space out the dozen or so things to do and check out here.  I'm hoping to get to the gym everyday on my days off, eat well, drink less and just get back to basics a little.   It feels good.



2 comments:

  1. Glad you have found your pace and found a farm to get fresh stuff. You have picked the right month to be there for sure. how would you get to work in 10 feet of snow? love reading your blog. keep safe buddy see you when you visit

    ReplyDelete