Tuesday 30 July 2013

Giddy up!



So the adventure begins!  Gulp.  Mixed emotions leaving Vancouver.  It's the middle of the best summer we've ever had and damn it's been a fun one so far yet I'm leaving!  I guess I have to just jump in.  Per the words of my uncle Mark when I mentioned swimming with the hammerheads in Hawaii, "what's the worst that can happen"?!

First off, we live in a damn big country.  It took me 3 Ativan's and 4 stops to get here.  I even had to spend the night in St. Johns.  From St John's it took me two more stops to get to my town of Happy Valley - Goose Bay, Labrador.  One of the stops was in St. Anthony's, a small town with the shortest runway in Newfoundland.  I believe it.  The first time we tried to take off, I guess the pilot didn't give the plane enough juice so he had to slam on the breaks, turn around and start again.  The second time he had to slam on the breaks because there was a moose in the runway.  The third time was the charm.  Heh heh heh. 

I can tell I'm on the east coast all right .  Everyone and their dog is calling me "me luv", Halifax is referred to as "Hali", and I saw a shirt that said "I'm so Scotian".  Indeed you are my friend. 

The accents are almost unbelievable.  Huge emphasis on the "a's".  Khaarrrr (car).  I can't quite do it phonetical justice.  Pretend Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys was a leprechaun and there you have it.  And I truly mean that in the most endearing way possible.  I'm having major issues understanding people on the phone at the hospital, especially the elderly Inuit.  Many of the elders have never learned English so there are translators available.  Crazy.  Oh Canada. What a diverse country we live in eh?

1 comment:

  1. Love IT! Moose on the runway....LOL! How perfect is that?!

    ReplyDelete